What to Do Until Help Arrives -Water Damage
What do you do when you find water damage in your home or office?
SERVPRO of West Amarillo has you covered. We have made a list of what to do and not do while you wait for help to arrive.
DO: (Clean Water)
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and table top items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately room temperature.
DO: (Contaminated Water)
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items
DON'T: (Clean Water)
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical outlets. switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Leave oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceilings are sagging from retained water.
DON'T: (Contaminated Water)
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminates.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
If your home or business has suffered a loss from water or sewage, call SERVPRO of West Amarillo today at (806)331-4555